In 1955, a small group of Polish
immigrants arrived in Buffalo, New York, via Germany, Italy, England, and
Africa. As members of the Polish Teachers Federation and Post 33 of the
Polish Army Veterans Association of WW II, they organized a school that
would teach Polish language and culture. First classes took place on October
1st, 1955 at the grand "Dom Unijny" on Filmore Avenue. Shortly
thereafter, the classes were moved to St. Stanislaus School under the wing
of Rt. Rev. Monsignor Peter J. Adamski, after whom the school was named.
Years later, when the building that housed the parochial school and the
Polish Saturday School was demolished, "Szkola Sobotnia" was moved
to St. Stanislaus Parish. Generosity of the late Msgr. Peter J. Adamski,
Msgr. John Gabalski, and dedication of many individuals made the school
prosper and provide a full program of Polish language, history, geography,
dance, and folklore.
Today, the school is housed in St.
Gualbert's Church in the town of Cheektowaga, a suburb of Buffalo, thanks to
the help from Father Daniel A. Pokornowski and Father David W. Bialkowski.
Father Tadeusz M. Bocianowski, the pastor of St. Adalbert Church, is the
chaplain of the school. Instruction in the school is offered to students
from ages five to seventy five. Children start in Kindergarten and continue
until age seventeen. Adult classes are the newest and the most dynamically
growing component of the school. The Polish Saturday School is an accredited
institution. The children complete their education with an examination,
which earns them three Regents credits honored by every public High School
in the state of New York. The Parents' Board is chaired by Mira Szramel. The
Parents' Board organizes benefit balls, which together with donations, are
sources of income for the school.
Those unforgotten by the history of
our school because of their dedicated service are the principals: the late
Mr. Józef Kaik, the late Mr. Józef Siwiak, Mrs. Helena Golebiowska, Mrs.
Wanda Kolodziejczyk, and Mr. Bogdan Kotnis and Tadeusz Wojciak. Presently, Mira
Szramel is the active principal.
On Oct. 15, 2005, School celebrated it's 50th